First of all let’s define what Agritech is, according to its Wikipedia* page;
“Agritech is the use of technology in agriculture, horticulture, and aquaculture with the aim of improving yield, efficiency, and profitability. Agritech can be products, services or applications derived from agriculture that improve various input/output processes.”
Simply put; Agricultural technology (Agritech) is the tools and machinery used to support any agricultural enterprise. These tools can be anything from tractors and ploughs to state of the art monitoring technology.Why is Agritech important?
With the amounts of arable land consistently reducing, agricultural technology is crucial for helping farmers increase their productivity and harvests. One of the main premises of Agritech is the ability to grow more food, using less environmentally-damaging resources.
The UK became a world leader in agricultural technology following the launch of the 2013 strategy to deliver sustainable, healthy and affordable food for future generations. Just some of the benefits the UK will see include:
• support from government to improve the competitiveness of the Agritech sector, as part of the £160 million UK Strategy for Agricultural Technologies
• access to world leading researchers across all disciplines relevant to Agritech with a track record of delivering for business
• an academic environment that has a track record of working with business and delivering for it
• access to a fully integrated agricultural food supply chain worth £96 billion annually
• a business environment that encourages and rewards innovation through tax credits, tax relief for patents developed in the UK and strong Intellectual Property (IP) protection
The agriculture start-up market has boomed since 2010, jumping from $400 million to nearly $4.6 billion. Agritech has become a integral means of focus for investors around the globe. Agricultural Technology is such a broad sector, which includes a variety of innovations that farms can use and investors can benefit from.
Although there are several types of Agritech you can invest in, Aeroponic technology is arguably the most sustainable and most rewarding. Aeroponic technology is the process of growing plants in an air or mist environment without the use of soil or any other medium. This method uses 95% less water than traditional farming and significantly less water than hydroponic or aquaponic methods.Benefits of Aeroponic Farming include • Higher crop productivity • Decreased use of water • Reduced impact on global climate • Less runoff of chemicals into rivers and groundwater • Increased worker safety • No fertiliser or pesticides, which in turn keeps food prices down For information and to learn more contact us today.